What is Functional Medicine?
Functional Medicine combines the best of both worlds: the power of modern medicine to treat disease, combined with the power of natural supplements and other modalities to support the body’s efforts to return to health equilibrium. It seeks to find the root cause of your symptoms and repair it rather than only treating the symptom. Often conditions like fatigue, fibromyalgia, migraine headaches, irritable bowel syndrome and many others don’t respond well to mainstream options. However, you should see a surgeon for appendicitis and take medication for dangerously high blood pressure to prevent stroke.
Not only does Functional Medicine combine different elements of health care, it re-integrates the body back into one complex and interrelated system. The current medical system, which requires you to see a dermatologist for a rash, a rheumatologist for joint pain, and a gastroenterologist for heartburn ignores the fact that all of these symptoms might all come from the same source of inflammation (the root cause), such as a food allergy or food sensitivity. You may need a specialist for an individual problem, but you also need someone who is caring for your whole self, a person whose systems affect each other in diverse and amazing ways.
Who Needs Functional Medicine?
While the following list of symptoms and disorders may seem so wide-ranging that they couldn’t all be related, medical scientists are increasingly finding that they can all be caused or worsened by a connected set of problems with our immune system. The good news is that these causes can be fixed through Functional Medicine.
The bad news is that addressing the roots of illness takes work on your part to bring your body back in to balance. We will be asking you to change your eating habits in specific ways, take supplements, and add routines to your life to decrease the effects of stress on your body. Our medical team, including your provider as well as a health coach, is here to guide you through the process and individualize a plan to get you feeling great again.
So…might you have one or more of these symptoms? Do you…
- Feel “old” because of muscle or joint aches, fatigue, or foggy thinking?
- Struggle with mental health issues like anxiety or depression?
- Have a diagnosed autoimmune disease such as Hypothyroidism, Psoriasis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Type 1 Diabetes, Ulcerative Colitis, or Crohn’s Disease?
- Have a diagnosis of a “stress-related illness“ such as Fibromyalgia, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, or Interstitial Cystitis? (Whatever you’ve been told, it’s not just stress and you don’t just have to live with it.)
- Struggle with managing your weight, even when you’re doing all the “right” things?
- Have allergies that never seem to respond that well to over-the-counter meds or have chronic sinus congestion, snoring, or sleep apnea?
- Experience at least two (2) of the following symptoms?
- Excessive fatigue (mental &/or physical)
- Migraine or tension headaches
- Muscle aches and tightness
- Joint pain or swelling (this can be random-seeming, or in areas of old injury)
- Heartburn (even if your symptoms are currently controlled with medication)
- Abdominal bloating or cramping, burping or gas
- Diarrhea or constipation, or both
- Skin problems like eczema, acne, or rosacea
- Trouble concentrating or coming up with the right word or person’s name
- Mental fogginess, forgetfulness
- Mood swings, depression, or anxiety
- Frequent trouble getting to or staying asleep
It’s much quicker and easier for us to write you a prescription to decrease your symptoms or make your numbers better, than it is for us to figure out why your blood pressure is so high, why you’re always feeling so tired, or why you’ve never felt the same since a major life event. But we’re willing to take the time! If you are ready to do the work and make some changes, we’re ready to help you figure out which changes will help you feel like your best self again.
We want to help you work smart, not just work hard, on your health!
Ready?! Call us at (360)567-0488 and speak to our Health Coach with any questions and to see if our Functional Medicine program might be right for you.